a case study of leaders on a senior team
For this discussion forum, you will examine a case study of two leaders on a senior team, Ahmed and Damon, who are in conflict with one another. After reading the case study, you will start your discussion by describing traits and characteristics of effective leaders in teams and organizations. Your perspective on effective leadership will provide a point of comparison for how this team is currently led and how it would be better led. You will then analyze the points of conflict between the leaders, especially as they relate to issues of power and politics. As you read this week, you will discover that conflict can be avoided or better managed through appropriate structuring of teams and by fostering a collaborative climate. Using this knowledge, you will analyze how the team structure and climate can be enhanced. Finally, you will share strategies that may alleviate the conflict and improve team performance.
Prior to beginning work on this discussion forum,
- Read Chapters 8 and 11 from An Introduction to Leadership.
- Read Case Study: When Two Leaders on the Senior Team Hate Each Other (Links to an external site.).
- Read the assigned sections (pp. 353 to 376) of Chapter 13 from Leadership: Theory and Practice.
- Watch the following video:
The Elephant, the Rider and the Path – A Tale of Behavior (Links to an external site.)
In your initial discussion forum post,
- Describe two to four traits and/or characteristics of effective leaders in teams and organizations.
- Identify the main points of conflict between Ahmed and Damon, including issues of power and politics that may be involved.
- Discuss how the current team structure and climate may contribute to Ahmed and Damon’s conflict.
- Analyze which aspects of followership may need to be fostered on this team to improve team collaboration.
- Share at least three strategies, based on your readings, that may alleviate the conflict and improve team performance.
|Reminder: Cite at least two resources (either scholarly or non-scholarly) that support your discussion.|
Guided Response: Reply to at least two of your peers by 11:59 p.m. on Day 7 of the week. In your replies to colleagues,
- Provide one to two additional insights or counterpoints, or share research to build on the discussion.