Instructions for Accessing Public Company Financial Statements
Accessing through SEC website
1. Start by going to www.sec.gov.
2. Under the ‘Filings’ Menu, select ‘Company Filings Search’
3. Type in the Company name and select ‘search’.
4. A screen listing all filings for the Company you searched will be shown. Make sure the Company listed in the blue box is the company you were looking for.
a. Note: For Target, you want ‘Target Corp’ with CIK 0000027419
b. Note: For United, you want ‘United Airlines, Inc.’ with CIK 0000319687
5. Type ’10-K’ into the ‘Filing Type’ filter and select ‘search’. This will filter out all filings except for the 10-K which is the annual financial statements all public companies must submit.
6. Open the most recent 10-K by selecting the ‘documents’ button next to the first 10-K shown and then selecting the first linked item in the next view (the one labeled ‘10-K’).
7. Once the 10-K is open, use the table of contents to locate the ‘financial statements and supplementary data’ (should be in Part II, Item 8 of all 10-Ks).
Accessing through Company website
1. Start by going to the Company’s website and look for a link for ‘investors’.
· You can also access directly for most companies by using their direct investor website, such as ‘investors.target.com’ for Target or ‘ir.united.com’ for United Airlines
2. Select the ‘SEC Filings’ link
3. Filter for ‘Annual Reports’ or ‘Annual Filings’
4. Select the 10-K you want to open.
5. Once the 10-K is open, use the table of contents to locate the ‘financial statements and supplementary data’ (should be in Part II, Item 8 of all 10-Ks).