Develop a research question, and then in 5–7 pages, evaluate research literature associated with the question in terms of credibility, reliability, ethics, and value. Explain how the research can be used by psychology professionals.
RESEARCH TOPIC: MEDIA VIOLENCE AND CHILDREN
In your role as a psychology professional, you have been asked to contribute to a professional association’s quarterly newsletter. You need to select a question, review the most recent research on the topic of your question, and discuss how the research can be applied to professional practice.
To develop a research question, think about your areas of interest in psychology, things you are passionate about, and who your audience will be. What type of research question will help you expand your knowledge and skills while contributing to the field of psychology?
Here are a few examples:
- What are the best practices for treating individuals of diverse cultural backgrounds?
- How does technology impact learning in the elementary school classroom?
- What might explain the increase in the number of children diagnosed with developmental disorders, such as autism and Asperger’s Syndrome?
- Is there a relationship between leadership and emotional intelligence?
- What role does birth order play in personality development?
Once you have a research question, look in the Capella Library for at least three peer-reviewed articles from scholarly journals relevant to your research question. Look for patterns, as well as different answers to your research question, and then narrow your findings down to about three main themes that will make up the body of your review of the literature. The final step will be to examine how you would apply the findings to your professional practice in psychology and what the findings mean to your area of specialization.
Because this is an article for publication, be sure to format it according to APA guidelines. (You may wish to use the APA Paper Template in the Resources.)
In the article you write for this assessment, include the following:
- Develop a research question to address a problem in the field of psychology.
- Evaluate the research literature in terms of reliability, credibility, ethics, and value.
- Explain the assumptions and biases of the researchers.
- What was the motive or reason that the research was conducted?
- Does that affect the credibility or reliability of the findings?
- Are there ethical issues within the research and were they addressed?
- Compare the different research studies.
- Did they use the same methods?
- Did they have the same or similar conclusions?
- Are there flaws in the research?
- How well does the research answer the question you developed?
- Explain how you would apply the research to professional psychology practice.
- How are the findings important for your area of psychology?
- Here is an example of a research question topic
- Is There a Relationship Between Leadership and Emotional Intelligence?
- Many researchers have analyzed the utility of emotional intelligence in effective leaders. In this fast-paced world where organizations change rapidly, it is important for employees and leaders to adapt to changes and move toward further success to maintain a competitive edge. One of the good leadership traits, along with being trustworthy, kind, approachable, and wise is to have a calm state of mind, irrespective of the situation. This quality a leader possesses actually indicates that he/she has a high degree of emotional intelligence. One only needs to look at the recent corporate scandal such as Toshiba’s accounting scandal, where the company admitted to overstating its income by almost two billion dollars which is four times its estimate, (Matthews & Gandel, 2015) and a corporate success such as LinkedIn, where the company’s recent strategy to help young people build their own professional networks earned an additional 25 million subscribers, to know that leadership makes a huge difference to an organization (Lipscombe-Southwell, n.d.). LinkedIn has shown a massive growth in its user base and popularity under the leadership of its CEO, Jeff Weiner, in the recent past, especially since 2013. It is obvious that great leaders ignite and inspire to bring out the best in their employees to not only boost their individual potential but also boost the potential of the company as a whole. Generally, when people try to gauge the reason behind the success of leaders, they speak of strategy, vision, or powerful ideas and tend to ignore another powerful element that is — emotional intelligence
- Format: Include a title page and reference page.
- Length: 5–7 pages, double-spaced.
- References: At least three current scholarly or professional resources.
- APA formatting: References and citations should be formatted according to current APA style and formatting standards.