In this project, you will demonstrate your mastery of the following competency:
- Describe the foundational elements of the U.S. legal system and the relationships among them
You are a successful small business owner and have been asked by the local chapter of the Junior Entrepreneurs Association, a club for high school students interested in business careers, to make a presentation. The title of the presentation is “The U.S. Legal System and Business.” You have been provided with a detailed topic outline for your presentation and have been asked to touch on every topic it contains. You have also been asked to develop your presence in the context of business and business law.
The resources provided in the course will support your work; no additional research is required. Create a PowerPoint presentation that specifically covers the detailed topic outline as follows:
- Introduction: Provide an introduction to the law and its purposes, including why there is a need for business law.
- Foundation: Briefly explain the foundation of the legal system in the United States, including the branches of the U.S. government and their relationship to each other.
- Describe three of the primary sources of U.S. law and provide one example of each primary source of law that is related to the business environment.
- Name and briefly summarize the clause of the U.S. Constitution that grants the government the power to regulate business. Provide an example of government regulation of business.
- Courts: Differentiate between federal and state courts, including an example of the type of business case that could be heard in each court.
- Differences: Explain the difference between criminal law, civil law, and alternative dispute resolution.
- Conclusions: Describe why every business owner and leader must have a basic understanding of the U.S. legal system.