1. Describe and discuss one genetically linked reproductive health issue and blood disorder in terms of detection, prevention, and health promotion; What are some of the social, emotional, or cultural reactions of the health issues that you chose? What might be some of the differences in reactions to a blood disorder and a reproductive disorder? What are some of the impacts of these disorders on the community?
2. Choose a disease that affects the skin, and its disease’s mechanism of action within the body, the body’s immune response, and whether/how it may be transmitted from person to person. What preventive strategies can be employed to avoid contracting the disease?
3. Choose a sport, preferably one that you engage in or watch regularly, and discuss the muscle groups and skeletal bones that are used to complete that activity. what are your recommendations for maintaining bone health?
4. Describe how nerve cells “talk to one another” or communicate to allow us to experience the world through our senses? (Be sure to apply the terms neurotransmitter, synapse, receptors, and impulse in your discussion.)
How does this nerve-to-nerve communication change in the presence of a major nervous system disorder such as Alzheimer’s disease, Huntington Chorea, Parkinson’s’ Disease, or another condition of your choice?
5. How are feedback loops involved in the ability of the kidneys to maintain water balance? Managing conditions such as diabetes or kidney disease demands a careful balance. Discuss as a group the many examples of how a change (in diet, exercise, medication, emotional or physical state, etc.) in this feedback loop can lead to a life-threatening situation, also affecting other systems in the body.
6. In what ways do the cardiovascular and respiratory systems work together to promote health? What are some of the factors that can contribute to a particular cardiovascular disease such as atherosclerosis, hypertension, or strokes? Be sure to include the influences of genetics, lifestyle, and diet in your discussions with one another. What are some factors contributing to respiratory conditions? Again, include influences of genetics, lifestyle, and diet.
7. What are some of the potential health issues that may result from difficulties absorbing macro or micronutrients? Please bring in specific examples. What are some of the public health issues that can result from an improper diet and/or exercise and what can be done to remedy them from the individual, health provider, and community perspectives? Include cultural and environmental influences on diet and exercise.