An important part of any sociology class is examining real world events and connecting it with an understanding of class material. To this end, each student will be expected to develop and submit a media file for this course. Note that even though you are asked to write about 7 items, as described below, you should include these items together into one document. Please DO NOT submit separate files for grading. Submit the paper in the “Assignments” section of the classroom. The due date is 11:55 pm on Sunday at the end of week #7.
For this assignment, students will be expected to find and discuss online news articles published within the last 3 months on any 7 of the following topics:
1. Any research dealing with some aspect of the family covered in class this term
2. Interracial relationships
3. Gay, lesbian, bisexuality, pansexuality or asexuality
4. Transgender identity
5. Family violence
6. Adoption (any aspect)
7. Extra-marital sexuality
8. Births outside of marriage
9. Marriage trends/statistics
10. Blended families
11. Childfree couples (childfree differs from childless – you may address childfree family life, policy, or workplace issues)
12. Caregiving for family members
13. Disciplining children
17. Families in later life
Do not choose more than 7 topics. Additional topics will not be graded.
These articles may be from any online news source. Please keep in mind that they must be news articles, not commentaries, editorials, letters to the editor, book reviews, opinion pieces, etc.
Provide the URL for each article you choose and clearly identify each topic you are addressing. Be certain that you note the source of each article including the APA-formatted citation for each article.
For each item, write a brief essay (approximately 400 words) in which you do the following:
1. Write a brief summary of the article. This should only be a short paragraph in length. The point is not to repeat everything the article says but to pick out important points and those that relate to information covered in class material.
2. Compare the information in your article with information on that subject covered in your readings (include page numbers when appropriate). For example, does the information in the article contradict or agree with information presented in your readings? How? Why? This is your chance to demonstrate that you know the information on this topic presented in your course material.
3. Discuss which theoretical perspective from the readings on the family is represented/applied in the article. Analyze the topic using the related theory. (This is your opportunity to demonstrate that you understand and can apply the theoretical perspectives in your text.)
4. Conclude with your own thoughts on the news article. Include such thoughts as why this particular topic interested you, if you were surprised by the news, and how you think this issue should be handled by society and why. The point of this part of your essay is to demonstrate that you have reflected on this issue at some length.
Note: This course has “Resubmission” status enabled to help you if you realize you submitted an incorrect or blank file, or if you need to submit multiple documents as part of your Assignment. Resubmission of an Assignment after it is graded, to attempt a better grade, is not permitted.
DISCLAIMER: “Originality of attachments will be verified by Turnitin. Both you and your instructor will receive the results.”