There are certain reasons that have been provided for being cautious with a diagnosis. Some of the following are influences, but not necessarily why one needs to be careful..
1. Along with social and emotional development, so is their identity.
2. The use of substances can hinder their growth in all areas of life, including social, spiritual, physical, emotional, and relational.
3. Some use substances to help with the pain of not being accepted or not being part of a peer group.
4. Due to substance use, whether they are addicted or not, they could have a false self-image and not be aware of themselves as much.
5. If not treated early, long-term consequences can be devastating.
When looking at these areas, and more, what do they have to do with being concerned over a diagnosis?